Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Review: "My Birthday Gift" by Charles E. Campbell




Synopsis: A first person recounting of how a person's life was forever altered by a fortieth birthday gift



It’s not often that I find a story that appeals directly to me.  Erotica authors in general write for themselves first, and their audience second.   This backward thinking makes some of the most strangest of stories, ones that appeal in limited directions.

“My Birthday Gift” is a story that, despite my not liking everything that happened in it, appealed to my senses.  Admittedly, it was a turn on, which is definitely the goal of every erotica author.  But beyond that, Mr. Campbell did a darned good job in expressing the feelings of the main character.  The emotionalism caught me up, wrapped around me, and intensified the eroticism of the tale.

From a grammatical perspective, “My Birthday Gift” is well written.  There were few if any errors that I saw that distracted from the overall narrative and the sentences were constructed well.  There was a decent mix of simple and complex sentences that added depth and complexity to the tale and punctuation was handled well.  It’s so nice to see someone ELSE who understands comma use.

But while “My Birthday Gift” was better than most of the drivel left at the doorstep of the BDSM Library, it wasn’t perfect.  First of all, the plot, while well executed and written, was just a tad bit unbelievable.  The wife, who gave herself completely to her husband, was instantly made a sex slave.  Her behavior, which I DID find believable, was predictable, since a good slave girl follows the orders of her master.  But I felt that Mr. Campbell really lost out on a good opportunity to create tension and varying levels of degradation for his protagonist.  I believe that he made the antagonist, the husband, too harsh and too extreme right from the start.  By taking it in gentle steps, the story could have been better timed to give the reader a steadily increasing sensation of tension, and allowing even more emotional turmoil to affect the wife.  With Mr. Campbell’s capability at writing, it would have been child’s play to make this short story into a major novella.

I also want to point out that Mr. Campbell wrote the piece, not only in first person, but from the female’s perspective.  I have to admire that. I’ve only done it once and I had help from Breanne Erickson, with the details. I don’t think like a woman and Mr. Campbell either had good advice, or is more savvy with womenfolk than I am.  He did it well.  I’ve articulated how difficult it is for even talented, experienced authors to use first person narrative, since it by necessity limits the descriptive process.  But Mr. Campbell pulls it off, and does it well.

In summary, “My Birthday Gift” was a beautiful little tale that only suffered from a timing problem.  The writing itself was of high quality, the sex and humiliation scenes well scripted, and all in all, a most pleasant diversion.  A definite 9 out of 10 stars!

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't read it, part three came up November of last year. :)

    ReplyDelete